Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Letter of Notification

Back dated to December 2004


Every Singaporean male by the age of 18 have to serve their National Service by going through 2 years of military training.

It was referred to as our 'rite of manhood'. It is when boys will turn to men. It is something every Singaporean male will have to go through, something we will have in common.

Perhaps that's why 'NS' is one of the favorite topics of guys.

You hear about NS everywhere.
You hear about it from seniors.
You hear about it from from friends and relatives.
You hear more and more about it everywhere when your enlistment date draws nearer and nearer.
It's like a constant reminder. Almost as if everyone around you is excited for you.

So I find myself actually listening carefully to what they are revealing about NS. I tried to gather as much information as I can.

What was NS like for them?

Some laughed it off and admitted (shamelessly, too) that they "Chao Keng" (Loafed Off) and had themselves diagnosed as "Unfit for Training". As a result they were excused from many trainings and had an easy NS life.

Some did no such tricks but were nevertheless lucky enough to be being assigned as drivers, mechanics, or other non-combat vocations.

Some said life was not as comfortable as a stay-at-home civilian, of course, but the experience was good for them. They said it is was good, for they made many friends, had a lot of memorable experiences and overall became fitter and healthier than they were.

Some said it was terrible. It was super "Shiong" (Tough), with lots of "Tekan Sessions" (Bullying/Punishment) from their Sergeants and Sirs. It was a misery and they were very glad that they survived the ordeal.

I heard of many different responses, but I don't know what to make out of them.
Instinctively I do not like it. But I hope I will grow to accept it.



In my 2nd year of my JC education I received the Letter of Notification.

"This is to notify you that your date of enlistment will be on the 8th of January, 2005."

The letter to add to my troubles of A Levels examinations.



During my Junior College days I made some attempts to exercise more often, to make myself fitter. All the log lifts and push ups gave me blisters and calluses on my palms; but I did it anyway just to break that zero point to being able to do 3 chin ups. The days of sweat and sore and aching muscles were proof of my efforts.

The days and months still continue to roll by. I wake up to each day with the same feelings of anxiety, dread and fear, mixed with a excitement and curiosity. It was like a dull ache that did not go away even when the exam stress of the A Levels has lifted.

But I tried to pushed them away once the examinations are over.

I planned to play as much as I can, and enjoy myself to the fullest before I begin my Army Life.



You know .. Just in case Army isn't as fun as some make it out to be.

No comments: